Share: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
#1   Cell phone virus
GoddsEgo
PayPal Donation
CZ Moderator
GoddsEgo has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
0.16 posts per day
 Yahoo Messenger  
Welp looks like I'll be switching back to my old rotory phone soon.

World's First Mobile Phone Virus Created
By Lucas van Grinsven, Reuters

AMSTERDAM (June 16) - A group of underground virus writers has showed off what is believed to be the world's first worm that can spread on advanced mobile phones, but security software companies say the virus had no malicious code attached.

The worm, named Cabir, was sent to security software firms Kapersky Lab of Russia and U.S.-based Symantec by a member of 29a, a group of virus writers from the Czech Republic and Slovakia who pride themselves in creating ''proof of concept malicious viruses,'' Kapersky Labs spokesman Denis Zenkin said.

Avoid accepting a download that looks like the one above, anti-virus firms say. (Symantec)

''This is the very first version of a network worm which propagates via mobile phones,'' he said on Wednesday.

The worm is designed to work in smartphones running on Symbian and Series 60 software, Symantec said on its Web site.

This software is used to power millions of Nokia phones, such as the popular 6600 model.

Nokia was not immediately available to comment.

The worm is not regarded as dangerous because even if it spreads it carries no code that destroys files or executes other damaging operations, the security software firms said. The virus attempts to jump from phone to phone by using the handset's wireless short-range Bluetooth connection. It scans the environment for other Bluetooth-enabled devices.

Once it has found one, it sends itself disguised as a security file. The file must be accepted by the mobile phone owner and then installed before it can propagate.

Mobile viruses will become more dangerous when they can spread without human intervention, said Matias Impivaara, business manager for mobile security services at Finnish security software firm F-Secure.

''The main (turning) point will be when the virus-writing community knows the software well enough... to find holes,'' he said.

''The information about the (Symbian) operating system is very close to the hands of the virus writers.... (Cabir) could be a trigger to start developing these ideas earlier.''

A spokesman at London-based technology firm Symbian said that, unlike personal computers, it was not possible to penetrate the software of its smartphones without approval.

''But we can never say it's not going to be possible. Smartphones have been designed... as open, programmable networked devices,'' he said, adding that users should be careful before accepting to install new software.

Back to top Reply with quote
#2   re: Cell phone virus
echo
CZ Wiz
 Codezwiz Site Donator
echo has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
0.15 posts per day

It was just a matter of time...I never left my good ol' fashioned hard wired phone. I suppose I am a bit old fashioned also, but hey, one less person driving and talking. icon_mrgreen.gif I do realize they can be life savers, and for emergency's can't be beat. I guess I'm in the stone age here...except for the internet icon_wink.gif ...looks like another door just opened up for Symantec and the other virus and security company's.

#3   re: Cell phone virus
Kelly_Hero
PayPal Donation
CZ Revered Member
 Codezwiz Site Donator
Kelly_Hero has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
usa.gif southcarolina.gif
0.50 posts per day

The file must be accepted by the mobile phone owner and then installed before it can propagate.

That kinda says it all doesn't it? It's the same principle as opening attachments in email. If you're dumb enough to accept the file and install it without first checking to see if it's legitimate, then you deserve to get a virus. IMHO.

Kelly

#4   Re: re: Cell phone virus
echo
CZ Wiz
 Codezwiz Site Donator
echo has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
0.15 posts per day

Originally posted by Kelly_Hero @ Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:08 am:

The file must be accepted by the mobile phone owner and then installed before it can propagate.

That kinda says it all doesn't it? It's the same principle as opening attachments in email. If you're dumb enough to accept the file and install it without first checking to see if it's legitimate, then you deserve to get a virus. IMHO.

Kelly

Maybe a matter of time before there's another Sasser type worm...where you don't have to accept anything to get it. I dunno, I'm not to informed about virus's and the cell phone structure, so I am probably wrong.

#5   re: Cell phone virus
Kelly_Hero
PayPal Donation
CZ Revered Member
 Codezwiz Site Donator
Kelly_Hero has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
usa.gif southcarolina.gif
0.50 posts per day

Yea, that's my thought too. The article states that at this time, the worm can't spread without human intervention, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Kelly

Add To: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
<< View previous topic View next topic >>

Jump to