flash: open new window

<< View previous topic View next topic >>
Share: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
#1   flash: open new window
uzerfrendly
CZ Newbie
uzerfrendly has been a member for over 19 year's 19 Year Member
0.00 posts per day

i am trying to make a button open a new window sized to specific dimensions. the button will work while the swf and html file are on my harddrive but as soon as i upload them to my site the javascript will not work. if i remove the js then it opens fine but i have to have the window at these dimensions. my site is
[ Register or login to view links on this board. ]

and the code i am using is this:

on (release) {
getURL ("javascript:menu=window.open('http://www.freewebs.com/prentissrestaurants/menu.html','menu','width=150,height=400,left=0,top=0,toolbar=No,location=No,scrollbars=No,status=No,resizable=No,fullscreen=No'); menu.focus(); void(0);");
}

'preciate the help

Back to top Reply with quote
#2   re: flash: open new window
GoddsEgo
PayPal Donation
CZ Moderator
GoddsEgo has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
0.16 posts per day
 Yahoo Messenger  
Hi uzerfrendly,

Welcome to Cz

My first question would be are you using Microsoft Xp and if so did you install Service pack 2?

I would guess that the reason it works fine for you on your computer but not once its uploaded is because of a "pop up blocker"

Xp's sp2 has a built in pop up blocker that limits automatic pop up's to one per page. Its said that if the pop up is a result of user interaction (ie Klicking a link) that the popup won't be blocked.

BUT ("this is where us flash developers are getting pruned")

Sp2 popup blocker will NOT allow a popup through another program.

Microsoft calls this "ADDED SECURITY"

Originally posted by Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack 2 - what it means for your website:

Launching pop-up windows through other programmes
If your website launches pop-up windows through other programmes, e.g. Macromedia Flash Movies, these will be blocked with SP2.

PERSONAL RANT TO FOLLOW...

I have been preaching for some time now that Ms Ie is on its way out, But people look at the stats and tell me...
"That I am full of it!"

Some where around 80 to 90% of the surfers out there today use Ms Ie.

But as Ms trys rebounding from the restrictions put on them as a result of losing certain lawsuit's, people sreaming about the endless patch work and NOW the NEW IMPROVED added securities, people just might decided that they've had enough.

If they still don't, and insist on sticking with Ms Ie then they just might find, (well actually this is a perfect example that they will find) that their surfing experience will be limited to what Ms wants you to see and NOT how the web developers had invisioned the page to work or look.

I have to admit that I to use it to casually surf. But my main duty browsers are Mozilla's Fire Fox and Opera. I also use Netscape and aol's built in browser for testing. I also haven't updated (ran winupdate) in almost 6 months. lmao I know I know, I am leaking like a sif right. lol I have taken other procautions to TRY and protect my computer.

OK I done ranting, If you would like to learn more about the NEW IMPROVED sp2 check out this link

More specificly here's the part about popups

#3   re: flash: open new window
uzerfrendly
CZ Newbie
uzerfrendly has been a member for over 19 year's 19 Year Member
0.00 posts per day

who would have known my first post would stir up such strong feelings. water ms to bathtub for sp2 (i have it) but ill tell you ive never been so happy to hear that im pruned before in my life. this button has been driving me friggin nuts. also it led me here. i guess my badboy idea to make my site stand out from the pack is just bad now. appreciate the help anyways.

GoddsEgo
PayPal Donation
CZ Moderator
0.16 posts per day
 Yahoo Messenger  
LOL yw,

Every couple months I need to get that out of my system TY 2!! lol

#5   re: flash: open new window
echo
CZ Wiz
 Codezwiz Site Donator
echo has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
0.15 posts per day

LMAO- I got it out of my system just reading your rant. icon_mrgreen.gif BTW, I couldn't agree more. I guess I'm lucky I stayed at SP1.

#6   re: flash: open new window
Kelly_Hero
PayPal Donation
CZ Revered Member
 Codezwiz Site Donator
Kelly_Hero has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
usa.gif southcarolina.gif
0.50 posts per day

Haven't gone to sp2 yet either..still waiting for a few more bugs to work themselves out. I have too many programs installed to have to redo windows xp again. I hate reinstalling programs!

#7   re: flash: open new window
GoddsEgo
PayPal Donation
CZ Moderator
0.16 posts per day
 Yahoo Messenger  
LOL

Let me start off by saying...

I am no Einstein (bathtub I can't even spell his name correctly, or did I?) the comments below may be a little stretched or even incorrect. lol I just don't pay much attention when the oldladies is pasing back and forth in front of computer with a sledge hammer in her hand, mumbling something about "slamming the gate" or was it "building a gate"? Not really sure what it was, I just know that bill, Xp, Sp2 and Gates were words that she kept repeting. lmao

With that said...

I guess I should point out that it "IS" possible to un-install sp2.

My oldlady just had to try it and see what it was all about. When she found out that the install shield (msi) (I think thats what drove her over edge, don't quote me tho) is different for sp2 and that she couldn't reload some of her older programs, she nearly blew her O-rings. Seeing how she was far into the installation and setup of ALL her programs she decided to try un-installing Sp2 and seeing how her computer ran before she wide computer totally clean and started over.

So far so good, it un-installed cleanly and hassel free. (BUT, this was a day after it had been installed, NO telling what will happen if you have had it on since day 1 and running computer 24/7)

So my first advice would be DON"T LOAD THE PIECE OF ... well you know what.

If you have and feel your computer is just not right, that you think its running ok but there's just something you can't put your finger on.

Un-install it before its to late. Then wait for the people that luv Ms Ie to load it and let them have the headaches of report all the bugs, then the 6 quatrillion patches that are sure to follow within the first 6 months.

Then once you hear the up's and down's from the PUBLIC and NOT Microsoft, then decide if its worth having.

Ifyou just have to have sp2 and you are like my oldlady, (she was in middle of adding and upgrading her computer hardware and doing a new clean install of the Os) and you have older programs that you just got to have back on your computer, You might want to install them before you install Sp2.

Anywho I say, "OFF WITH THERE HEADS"
I think the last thing I heard was its going to be something like 2 years before MS even gets a new OS out.

O I can't wait!

#8   re: flash: open new window
Azakel
CZ Newbie
Azakel has been a member for over 19 year's 19 Year Member
0.00 posts per day

All you need to do for the button to open a new window is put this on the actions of the button.

Oh and i got the sp2 so i guess this shows it has nothing to do with it icon_mrgreen.gif

on (release) {
getURL ("http://www.geocities.com/army_ofhell/index.htm");
}

#9   re: flash: open new window
GoddsEgo
PayPal Donation
CZ Moderator
0.16 posts per day
 Yahoo Messenger  
Well I should hope that sp2 doesn't block THAT code also!! Seeing how the code you provided is used to link to another page, which opens in the SAME window that the flash WAS in. In other words, a/s version of a link. Not a/s version of popup.

Here is the a/s you just provided on a button (altho I did change the addy it was referring to so that our members don't get slammed with the geo ad monster lmao

when you klik below you will leave this post and all the great wisdom we have to share with you lmao

BUT thats not saying that a popup window would not work in sp2 IF you had the right code, IF your have tweeked the blockers settings, IF a virus wasn't running rampit through your computer right now because the last page you were at had it embedded in a freak image that was on it. lol

Alls I did was report what windows its self has provided in its postings. for what that is worth. lol

BTW Hi Azakel
Welcome to Cz

#10   re: flash: open new window
Azakel
CZ Newbie
Azakel has been a member for over 19 year's 19 Year Member
0.00 posts per day

hahaha im sorry, it worked for me you know atleast when the page i want to open its an image then it opens it in a new window icon_mrgreen.gif

well then let me get back to the lab then cause the code that's on one of this post that uses javascript didnt work for me althi it did open the new window but it said "Cannot Find Page"

Thanks for the warm welcome lol

Add To: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
<< View previous topic View next topic >>

Jump to