<< View previous topic View next topic >>
Share: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
#1   Changing fake email after registration
pnclthnmstsh
CZ Active Member
pnclthnmstsh has been a member for over 19 year's 19 Year Member
usa.gif nevada.gif
0.04 posts per day

For those that don't put in the optional Fake Email on registration, I've found a problem. I'm not even sure if the fake email feature with Nuke stops this but I didn't put one in and even tho I have my email checked as hidden I'm finding out that bots are still getting my email addy and spamming me from my own site that I thought was safe and I thought my members were safe from spam.

I'm using the latest version of RavenNuke and the latest version of Sentinel but they are still finding my email address. So I have two questions.

Is checking "No" to having my email addy visible enough? (obviously not) Any why not?

Secondly, since there's no way to edit your fake email addy once you register...how can we do this? Or maybe I'm wrong and there is a way, but just not with the scripts I'm running. And...does the fake email addy really help?

Thanks for any input

PTM

Telli
Site Admin
Telli has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
Fav. Sports Team: Detroit Red Wings
1.06 posts per day

You may want to enable the mail through site system. I dont use the fake email option so I'm not sure what the fake email option does if anything.

I would suggest that you enable Spamhaus, SpamCop and CBL real-time blacklists or have your server admin do it. They may be getting the emails through dictionary attacks.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee. Ezekiel 25:17
Back to top Reply with quote
#3   re: Changing fake email after registration
pnclthnmstsh
CZ Active Member
pnclthnmstsh has been a member for over 19 year's 19 Year Member
usa.gif nevada.gif
0.04 posts per day

The fake email with Nuke is supposed to be what harvesters see instead of your real email. Here lately we've been getting a dozen new members every day who are fake. They are able to join, harvest email addys and able to post (luckily only two have posted their spam) but many of them have harvested our email addys with no way to opt out once we get their spam.

Telli
Site Admin
Telli has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
Fav. Sports Team: Detroit Red Wings
1.06 posts per day

Best bet is to work your way through the code and clean those up so they don't show the user's email. Set them up to use the Forums email system instead.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee. Ezekiel 25:17
Back to top Reply with quote
Add To: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
<< View previous topic View next topic >>

Jump to