Graphic Design and Coding some questions.

<< View previous topic View next topic >>
Share: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
#1   Graphic Design and Coding some questions.
sabastina
CZ Active Member
sabastina has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
0.03 posts per day
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
HI everyone,

I need to see if I can get any feedback from people who have been there...
A year and a half into college, I dropped my major and went into graphic design. I knew I wanted to do SOMETHING in computers, but had no idea what different things were classified as- such as graphic design, or coding, and so on- I've only used computers for about 2 years now...
At the time, I hadn't started coding nor working with databases. Only working with graphics and since I was already working toward a degree in visual arts, they suggested graphic design. Now, the only part of graphic design that appeals to me is web design. Possibly making brochures and such a bit on the side.
However, and here is my deliemma, I have come to LOVE working on my phpnukes. This last site I've built, has provided me with few problems (does blaming the site as opposed to myself rule me out for a life as a coding guru? lol) But yesterday, I realied that I had been actually altering some of the codes to make them work in my system. icon_biggrin.gif Sorry and not to brag but I was so entirely happy about it. My sites make me feel good about myself and provide instant gratification as well...
I only know the main html (B,br,img and a couple others) and I know no java at all...but then I have to ask myself do I? I mean, I think I do somehow understand it, even though I haven't "learned" it. And I'm thinking, I want to code. Everyone at the school blows me off saying php is too hard, or there is no money in it...hence no help in any sort of guidance from them except "just do Graphic design". And they said "you don't NEED that" when I tried to tell them that I felt knowing and understanding databases, and coding would make me understand webdesign more. Are they nuts? or am I?
Can anyone offer any information regarding classes that will help both graphic design and coding so that I can justify adding some classes to my schedule that will help me ease into coding? Or even just some links to information about the options that I may have. Key words would be good as well...

Thanks for reading!

Sabastina

Back to top Reply with quote
dementeddogz
CZ Active Member
dementeddogz has been a member for over 19 year's 19 Year Member
Fav. Sports Team: Miami
0.02 posts per day

Sounds like my situation a few years back. I originally got talked into taking IT/Networking but soon realised all I do is make sites in some form or another. I never had any intention of working for a companyso I later switched to web design. Depending on what college or university you go to though your average web design class has your basic to more advanced languages (html, java , c++, vb , and so on) and also focus on some graphics , design, and flash aswell as working with some of the more common programs from psp to flashmx. So in my case I was able to take some minor programming , web design , and some minor graphics work all in one course.

Do what YOU think youll like not what others like or think you should do.

sabastina
CZ Active Member
sabastina has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
0.03 posts per day
AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Thanks,

That helped me sort things a bit.
So I will need to add some webdesign which is simple at the moment since they only have one offering at my school...

Now with the programming part. I went and bought the Visual studio.net Academic software...It was a good offer at a hundered bucks, but I can't figure out what to do with it...lol...The word visual on the box is a complete misrepresentation...heh... icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif
I tried to read the manuals, but well, I can do the french, dutch, and german required for some php mods, but the manual was way too confusing!
I figured if I hang out there at the site mentioned on the box, I might learn something during this semester so I can use the program... (just figured you all would like a laugh)
So I was thinking this:
Perhaps I need to try to learn the programming language this semester then take a programming class next semester?
I'm just not sure what KIND of programing class I should take...

Thanks again for the help!

Sabastina

Add To: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
<< View previous topic View next topic >>

Jump to