can i get a little help :)

<< View previous topic View next topic >>
Share: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
#1   can i get a little help :)
Blackjack7960
CZ Newbie
Blackjack7960 has been a member for over 19 year's 19 Year Member
0.00 posts per day

Ok this is a simple problem, I hope. Although seeing as I am the worst person at php-nuke in the world its 10 times harder. I'm currently using a slightly modified version of Draconys (can be found here [ Register or login to view links on this board. ] The modifications have only been cosmetic, I dont know enough about the code to change the code itself.

The issue I am having with the site deals with the background. I would like to find a way to put a background image behind the article section of the page. At the moment I have not been able to figure out exactly what line of code I ineed to adjust to make the picture show up only within the middle section of the site. Im sry this seems incredably simple but im having all sorts of problems.

If you have an awnser I'll be lurking on these forums, of please email me at [ Register or login to view links on this board. ]

Thanks for any help you may have.

Back to top Reply with quote
#2   re: can i get a little help :)
Kelly_Hero
PayPal Donation
CZ Revered Member
 Codezwiz Site Donator
Kelly_Hero has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
usa.gif southcarolina.gif
0.50 posts per day

If you'll leave a link to your site, I'll take a look in the morning and see what I can see.

#3   re: can i get a little help :)
Blackjack7960
CZ Newbie
0.00 posts per day

[ Register or login to view links on this board. ]

is the site.. i only want the image to take up the space behind the middle block

thanks

#4   re: can i get a little help :)
Blackjack7960
CZ Newbie
0.00 posts per day

HOLY COW thats not what i meant to do.... altho it works ......
[ Register or login to view links on this board. ]

ok that worked ALOT better

#5   re: can i get a little help :)
Kelly_Hero
PayPal Donation
CZ Revered Member
 Codezwiz Site Donator
0.50 posts per day

Open left_center.html. Where you see:

</td><td valign="top" width="100%">

Change to:

</td><td valign="top" width="100%" background="themes/Draconys/images/IMAGE_YOU_WANT_HERE.gif">

The image you put there will tile both horizontally and vertically until it fills up the cell, so if you put an image there, make sure it's one that will tile seamlessly.

#6   re: can i get a little help :)
Blackjack7960
CZ Newbie
0.00 posts per day

Wow sweet! Thank you for the info.

I guess I have one more question that tags onto that. Is there any way to stop it from tiling without implenting a javascript. Also, I have see different scrips on your website. for example

body {
background: url("images/aardvark.gif");
background-repeat: no-repeat;
}

Would that be the script that i need? and if so where do I implement something like that?

thanks

#7   re: can i get a little help :)
Kelly_Hero
PayPal Donation
CZ Revered Member
 Codezwiz Site Donator
0.50 posts per day

There are several ways you can go.

1. You can go into your styles.css file and make a new class for that cell. It would look something like:

.maincell {
background-repeat: no-repeat;
}
or
.maincell {
background-repeat: x;
}
or
.maincell {
background-repeat: y;
}

The first one tells the image not to repeat at all. The second one tells it to only repeat horizontally. And, the 3rd one tells it to only repeat vertically. After you set up the class in your styles file, you'd go back into the td tag I told you to edit earlier and add class="maincell".

2. Another way is to add the style directly into the td tag itself. Like this:

<td width="100%" style="background: url(images/aardvark.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;">

That's called inline style. Again, you could choose to make it not repeat at all, to repeat just horizontally, or to just repeat vertically.

3. A third way is to take the style you created in #1 and add it between <style></style> tags in header.php.

If it were me, I'd go with #1 first. The reason is because that way all your site's styles are kept together in one place when you come to edit them later on. #2 is the easiest because you only have to modify the one tag, but if you do that all over your site, you'll have to go back and find them all to edit them. I wouldn't even do #3 for the same reason. Why create another place to have to edit later? Keeping the styles all in one place is the best way to go.

#8   re: can i get a little help :)
Blackjack7960
CZ Newbie
0.00 posts per day

wow kelly you are amazing at this thank you so much for takeing the time to look into my problems. you were a GREAT help! icon_smile.gif

#9   re: can i get a little help :)
Blackjack7960
CZ Newbie
0.00 posts per day

Ok, I am working on this myself until I run into a wall, but I got two more issues i would like to resolve.

The first is laying images on top of the background image. I have a set of 8 images that make up a really nice border for the story section of the page. The code i tried was

</td><td valign="top" width="100%"
style="background: url(themes/Draconys/images/background.jpg); background-repeat: no-repeat;
valign="top" align="left" style=background: url(themes/draconys/images/top-left.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;"
valign="top" align="right"style=background: url(themes/draconys/images/top-right.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;
valign="top" align="center" style=background: url(themes/draconys/images/top.gif); backgound-repeat: x;
valign="center" align="right" style=backgrond: url(themes/draconys/images/right.gif); background-repeat: y;
valign="center" align="left" style=background: url(themes/draconys/images/left.gif); background-repeat: y;
valign="bottem" align="right" style=background: url(themes/draconys/images/bottem-right.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;
valign="bottem" align="left" style=background: url(themes/draconys/images/bottem-left.gif); background-repeat: no-repeat;
valign="bottem" align="center" style=background: url(themes/draconys/images/bottem.gif); background-repeat: x;
>

I was hoping that it would work, but the problem resides in the need to be layerd. I dont know the command to layer the images, and how they should be set up.

i think that the other problem runs along similar lines as this one. Were the articles that are within the story section, have only a black box as a background. Originally the theme used a .jpg as the background, but I later went back and replaced it with a .gif file to make the background a shaded color, but still seethrough. for some reason the .gif file didnt take leaving me with only a black box. The line of text that it is written on is

<td style=\"background-image: url(themes/Draconys/images/dragon1.gif);\"><table width=\"100%\" border=\"0\" cellspacing=\"0\" cellpadding=\"4\">

Thanks again for all the help you really rock icon_smile.gif

#10   re: can i get a little help :)
Kelly_Hero
PayPal Donation
CZ Revered Member
 Codezwiz Site Donator
0.50 posts per day

You can't put more than 1 background image in a cell, which I'm sure you figured out by now. The align and valign attributes apply only to content in the cell. It has no effect at all on the background image in the cell.

To do what I think you're trying to do would take some major reworking of the table structure that makes up the whole theme and would affect not only your home page, but other pages throughout the site as well. Unless you have a clear understanding of how the table structure for the entire site works, you're better off sticking to 1 image in the background of the main cell.

As for the background image of your blocks, you can create a style that makes them semi-transparent. Like this:

.transp {
filter:Alpha(opacity=n);
}

Change the value of n to whatever level of opacity you want, from 1 - 100. Then, in the line of code that calls your background image for your stories, add class="transp". I haven't really dealt with CSS filters much, but I think CSS filters are IE proprietary, meaning they don't work in other browsers without some hacking. You might want to read up on it.

Add To: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
<< View previous topic View next topic >>

Jump to