Problems editing my php website...... HELP!!

<< View previous topic View next topic >>
Share: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
#1   Problems editing my php website...... HELP!!
Milne
CZ Active Member
Milne has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
uk.gif
Fav. Sports Team: Manchester United
0.02 posts per day
 Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger 
I am looking to start using php but I really don’t know where to being. I made my html site>>> [ Register or login to view links on this board. ] and I liked it but I’m wanting to add so many different things to it but I’ve been told php would be a lot better to use, to start up a online business.

So I tried to use a php template and just add all my own txt/pictures etc, but I’ve now hit a slumbering block, as I cant work out how to change anything but the main txt box in the centre of the page, have a look >>> [ Register or login to view links on this board. ]

The main reason I want to use the php site is so I can have a member account login system so people have to create an account before they can by anything and it also allows you to set a limit on how many of one item you have to sell.

This would be more appropriate for a business website; I think many people would agree.

So if anyone is able to help me out or just give advice please let me know. I tired using a few forums for advise just having a look and reading up on what other people had to say about it and I just couldn’t work out what they where either saying or what they where wanting me to do.

HELP IS NEEDED

Milne icon_cool.gif

Back to top Reply with quote
#2   re: Problems editing my php website...... HELP!!
dkwds
CZ Active Member
dkwds has been a member for over 19 year's 19 Year Member
uk.gif
0.04 posts per day

i think you might find the solution to your problem(s) at [ Register or login to view links on this board.] .
I've never used this software so thats all the help i can offer. icon_smile.gif

#3   re: Problems editing my php website...... HELP!!
Milne
CZ Active Member
uk.gif
0.02 posts per day
You might be able to help me out actually, I want to add a user account/login system on my current website, how did u do it with yours? The one you've got on your site can you link it up so that ppl cant buy an item from your site without login in first??

Milne icon_cool.gif

#4   re: Problems editing my php website...... HELP!!
Kelly_Hero
PayPal Donation
CZ Revered Member
 Codezwiz Site Donator
Kelly_Hero has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
usa.gif southcarolina.gif
0.50 posts per day

I think the problem is that you're trying to jump in the middle of things and start modifying this and that without taking the time to do the proper research.

You first need to make a list of what you need in a website. What functionality does the website need to have? Do you need forums? Do you need an online store? What type of payment system do you need? Do you need a membership system, and so forth....

Once you figure out exactly what you need your website to do, then you scout around for a system that does everything, or at least most of what you need, without the need for alot of modification. Trust me, the more you modify the base programming, the harder it is to keep up with updates as they come out.

If all you need is an online store, OsCommerce is a good one to start with. I've used it on several commercial sites. It's pretty easy to set up if you read all the documentation. The best part about it is that OsC has a large support community, so if you need some functionality that OsC doesn't have right out-of-the-box, chances are someone has already developed a mod for whatever you need.

Now, I did read somewhere that someone had developed an Osc/PHP Nuke system. I think it's called OsC Nuke, but I don't know anything about it at all. You should be able to find it if you do a Google for it.

With all that said, I think some advance planning is going to give you a better chance of success and save you alot of headaches in the long run.

#5   re: Problems editing my php website...... HELP!!
Milne
CZ Active Member
uk.gif
0.02 posts per day
Yes Im after setting up a online shop, as you can see Ive already started setting up a osCommerce site which at the moment isnt coming together very well.

The fuctions Im going to need on the site would be as follows, Games pages, Consoles pages, Electronics pages, DVD pages, Music pages, members login and create account system and currency converter, drop down genre search, quick find seach link for just my site and a few others. lol a small list

I have no need for a forum at the present time, I dont think I will need one at all really.

I was thinking about using PayPal as my online payment system but I want to be able to use something which I am able to link up to members account, for example; no one is able to buy an item without login into their account or creating an account, after this is done they are able to buy as much or as little as they want.
With paypal Iam unable to link this up as far as am aware.

I wanted to also be able to give all my items a limit of how many I have in stock, so I cant sell over that limit.

I dont know if this is possible to do, but I was talking to Staffie and he was the one who recommended osCommerce and he said you are able to add stock limits, which is what am also after.

Im used to just making sites in HTML, Flash and Dreamweaver, never used php before and Im finding it more of a task than it really should be and as you can see there is going to be a lot Im going to be needing to do to get the web site itself up and running before I am able to seel anything.

I dont know if you are able to help me out as I know you will be busy with possible other projects that you might have going on.

Please get back to me with would I should do.
My html site >> [ Register or login to view links on this board. ]
my osC site >> [ Register or login to view links on this board. ]

have a look,
Milne icon_cool.gif

#6   re: Problems editing my php website...... HELP!!
dkwds
CZ Active Member
dkwds has been a member for over 19 year's 19 Year Member
uk.gif
0.04 posts per day

My website uses a phpnuke engine, your on the other hand uses oscommerce. i would not have been able to help you there as i'm not famaliar with oscommerce coding.
Anyways there are people out there who are and as kelly stated above some of them have been able to merge the 2 softwares together.
Did a search in google and this is what i found.
The system you want will be something like this: [ Register or login to view links on this board.]
If this is the kind of system you want, you can download it [ Register or login to view links on this board.]
You can get support for this system [ Register or login to view links on this board.]
Hope that has helped you.

#7   re: Problems editing my php website...... HELP!!
Milne
CZ Active Member
uk.gif
0.02 posts per day
Thanks for the osc2nuke link, Im going to see what I can do with this but I dont know that much about nuke and oscommerce so its going to be a task lol

Is there anyway I can just pay someone to do this for me?? Im just lazy and try to find the time isnt easy at the moment lol

Milne icon_cool.gif

#8   Re: re: Problems editing my php website...... HELP!!
echo
CZ Wiz
 Codezwiz Site Donator
echo has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
0.15 posts per day

Originally posted by Milne @ Mon May 09, 2005 12:32 pm:

Thanks for the osc2nuke link, Im going to see what I can do with this but I dont know that much about nuke and oscommerce so its going to be a task lol

Is there anyway I can just pay someone to do this for me?? Im just lazy and try to find the time isnt easy at the moment lol

Milne icon_cool.gif

You could always use the Codezwiz Special Services. Here's the link to request services: [ Register or login to view links on this board. ]

#9   re: Problems editing my php website...... HELP!!
Milne
CZ Active Member
uk.gif
0.02 posts per day
Thanks Echo for letting me know about this link, Ive contacted them asking if its possible for someone to help me out with setting up a php, nuke or osc2nuke site. Just going to have to wait and see.

I know everything I want on the site and the way I want the layout, its just when it comes to the coding I dont know what Im doing, at the moment that is.

Thanks again for the help.

Milne icon_cool.gif

Add To: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
<< View previous topic View next topic >>

Jump to