how to specify what block to be w/ what modules

<< View previous topic View next topic >>
Share: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
#1   how to specify what block to be w/ what modules
sfinxs
CZ Super Newbie
sfinxs has been a member for over 19 year's 19 Year Member
0.01 posts per day

I have too many blocks. How do I specify what blocks to be included with a certain module. Thanks

Back to top Reply with quote
#2   re: how to specify what block to be w/ what modules
Browser
CZ Super Newbie
 Codezwiz Site Donator
Browser has been a member for over 19 year's 19 Year Member
0.01 posts per day

Modules and blocks are seperate. Go to your administration menu (admin.php) and deactivate or delete some blocks if you have too many and keep the ones you want to show. Do the same for the modules. Look for the "Modules" or "Blocks" link in the administration menu.

#3   re: how to specify what block to be w/ what modules
sfinxs
CZ Super Newbie
0.01 posts per day

I need those blocks, there is a way to make sure only certain blocks show up when u click on certain modules. But how? icon_smile.gif

#4   re: how to specify what block to be w/ what modules
Taut
PayPal Donation
CZ Revered Member
 Codezwiz Site Donator
Taut has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
usa.gif california.gif
Fav. Sports Team: SF Giants
0.72 posts per day

Perhaps we're not understanding what you are asking. Again, blocks are separate and a totally different thing than modules. If you can show us an example of what you want to do, like maybe on a diff site that you might have seen this, it would help us understand better, perhaps.

#5   re: how to specify what block to be w/ what modules
sfinxs
CZ Super Newbie
0.01 posts per day

Say I click on forum (module) I don't want any right blocks, only left ones. Say I click on another module, I only want certain blocks to show up. Does this make sense.

#6   re: how to specify what block to be w/ what modules
Taut
PayPal Donation
CZ Revered Member
 Codezwiz Site Donator
Taut has been a member for over 20 year's 20 Year Member
usa.gif california.gif
Fav. Sports Team: SF Giants
0.72 posts per day

yep, makes perfect sense. The link below has what you need...can be done with both left and right blocks.
[ Register or login to view links on this board. ]

#7   re: how to specify what block to be w/ what modules
sfinxs
CZ Super Newbie
0.01 posts per day

Thanks Tauty but I didn't explain it well. You ever heard of WB BLock Manager, it allows you to personalize the position of the blocks per module. I have it I just have trouble installling it. it says:

Generate "MySQL" tables by helping yourself with your "PhpMyAdmin or another SQL base manager Launch the MySQL.sql request.

Can you tell me exactly how to do that.

#8   Help with adding tables using server software
Browser
CZ Super Newbie
 Codezwiz Site Donator
0.01 posts per day

These programs you mention such as PHPMyAdmin are on your server if the host has added them.

First make sure you have one of these programs installed on your server. Look in your control panel or ask your hosting company if you are not sure. They are common but not always on a server.

YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR SERVER OR TABLES BEFORE YOU INSTALL ANY NEW TABLES OR RUN A .SQL FILE!

Next locate a document that came with the program/module you want to install (find this document on your computer, not on the server) that ends in .sql

Then launch program such as PHPMyAdmin on your server and login, usually done through control panel on server (NOT phpnuke). Once that is done you should see the databases or a drop down list on the left. Select the database that your phpnuke uses. Once the correct database is open, select "Query". Next select the tab or link that says "Import Files".

You should then see a browse button or an input box. Either type the path to the .sql file that is located on your computer or use the browse button to select it. Hit the go or continue button to upload file. The tables and cells wiill be set up automatically if there are no errors detected such as duplicate table names. You should receive a confirmation of the instructions executed in the main window if all went well. If you get error messages copy those down so they can be fixed.

I know it sounds like a lot but once you do it a few times you will find it is an easy way to set up a bunch of tables and cells.

NOTE: This information was based on PHPMyAdmin 2.5.6 and your software may be different. REMEMBER TO BACKUP FIRST!!! You can overwrite things or something can go wrong, especially if you are a newbie to this process.

#9   re: how to specify what block to be w/ what modules
sfinxs
CZ Super Newbie
0.01 posts per day

Thanks Browser! You super noobie you. I've been wondering how to add .sql files for long derrière time now ( well a week but thats pretty long). At first I kept trying to create a new database bec/ I never saw the phpadmin link way at the bottom.

Anyway I inserted the .sql it says it loads successfully or something successfully, so I'm done with the sql part there? I just closed phpadmin right after that. I then went on to the rest of the installation (adding files and editing etc) then I go use the wblockmanger . It looks fine but when I go to add blocks to the modules, nothing changes, my blocks location are as before. Could that be due to me not uploading .sql correctly?

#10   re: how to specify what block to be w/ what modules
Browser
CZ Super Newbie
 Codezwiz Site Donator
0.01 posts per day

You do not "add blocks to the modules". You must activate each seperately. Make sure both are activated and showing is your first step.

I get that you may be trying to use a module that manipulates the blocks but we are getting confused with the terms and thus having trouble helping. If you are using a module that does something with the blocks may I suggest you start your posting with: "I am using XX module and when I do X in control panel nothing happens to the block". This way someone who uses the module may know what you are talking about in relation to the module.

Regarding the .sql question, often times you will get an error in the module or block if there is a problem with the .sql database or tables. Also you should have paid close attention to any error messages after you installed .sql file so if there were none in either your .sql is probably fine and it is something else.

I hope this info helps, I am not trying to scold you just being direct to help you understand so it may make a little more sense.

Add To: Del.icio.us  Digg  Google  Spurl  Blink  Furl  Y! MyWeb  
<< View previous topic View next topic >>

Jump to